With over 200 colour photographs, and maps to guide the reader to places where rare wildlife can be seen, Secret Nature of The Isles of Scilly is a comprehensive guidebook to the islands' wildlife, and to the species that are special to Scilly.
Working with the Curlew is an intimate and evocative account of an era before factory farming, when farmers worked closely with nature and the rhythm of the seasons, a smallholding could sustain a family, and there were enough small farms for a shepherd to climb the ladder to ownership.
Richard Jefferies (1848-87) has long been recognised as an interpreter of English country life and a natural observer with few if any equals. He was an idealist, who believed that human beings could free themselves from outworn ideas and achieve a greatly enlarged spiritual and physical capacity.
Shows how to identify green lanes on the ground, how to recognise them on antique maps, and how to locate documents and other records which will reveal who used them in past times.
This volume comprises 190 poems by 133 poets: old favourites are joined by 20th century poetry from both sides of the Atlantic.
This anthology of poetry which celebrates fields, compiled by Common Ground, forms part of Common Groundås campaign to encourage greater awareness and celebration of the field¥a commonplace but much undervalued part of our countryside which demonstrates the relationship between nature and culture over thousands of years.
- The Passivhaus Handbook - A practical guide to constructing and retrofitting buildings for ultra-low energy performance
- Organic Gardening - The natural no-dig way
- How to Grow Perennial Vegetables - Low-maintenance, low-impact vegetable gardening
- Hot Beds - How to grow early crops using an age-old technique
- How to Grow Winter Vegetables
- Creating a Forest Garden - Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
- The Transition Companion - Making your community more resilient in uncertain times
- The Hempcrete Book - Designing and building with hemp-lime
- The Fruit Tree Handbook
- The Weeder's Digest - Identifying and enjoying edible weeds