This book tells the story of George Monbiotås journeys among some of the tribal peoples of East Africa, showing how they are confronting the forces which threaten to deprive both them and us of the life that civilization has tried to suppress.
At great personal risk and with forged travel documents, George Monbiot bluffed, cheated and forced his way into the remotest tropical place in the world Ñ the forbidden territories of Irian Jaya, Indonesia Ñ home to tribes who are now, along with their forest land, being systematically obliterated.
The renowned anthropologist Gerardo Reichel-Dolmatoff spent most of his working life among tribes living in the vast rainforests of the Colombian Northwest Amazon. This book brings together eleven of his essays and articles about the Tukano Indians.
- The Passivhaus Handbook - A practical guide to constructing and retrofitting buildings for ultra-low energy performance
- Organic Gardening - The natural no-dig way
- How to Grow Perennial Vegetables - Low-maintenance, low-impact vegetable gardening
- Hot Beds - How to grow early crops using an age-old technique
- How to Grow Winter Vegetables
- Creating a Forest Garden - Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
- The Transition Companion - Making your community more resilient in uncertain times
- The Hempcrete Book - Designing and building with hemp-lime
- The Fruit Tree Handbook
- The Weeder's Digest - Identifying and enjoying edible weeds