Building with Straw Bales
A practical manual for self-builders and architects
By (author) Barbara Jones
This book explains in straightforward terms the principles of straw-bale building for self-builders, architects and construction industry professionals.
Straw-bale buildings are cost-effective, easy to build and are highly energy efficient, enabling you to design and build beautiful, environmentally friendly buildings. Written with non-experts in mind, this practical book takes you through everything you need to know in an easy, accessible way:
● The benefits of building with straw bales
● Design principles
● Building with straw bales
● Finishes: lime and clay plasters
● Planning and permission
● Building regulations
This revised and expanded third edition brings the book up to date and includes lots of stunning full-colour photographs throughout to illustrate the design and build process.
Supporting materials for the third edition of Building with Straw Bales are available below:
Appendices 5, 6 and 7 are available online only and can be downloaded from this page.
The author is based in the UK and has written extended version of Chapters 18 and 19, planning permission and building regulations respectively, providing additional details for readers based in the UK. These chapters can be downloaded from this page.
Key Selling Points
An updated edition of the definitive book on straw bale building, with photographs by one of its most notable practitioners, published as the straw bale building industry is seeing unprecedented growth.
- The Passivhaus Handbook - A practical guide to constructing and retrofitting buildings for ultra-low energy performance
- Organic Gardening - The natural no-dig way
- How to Grow Perennial Vegetables - Low-maintenance, low-impact vegetable gardening
- Hot Beds - How to grow early crops using an age-old technique
- How to Grow Winter Vegetables
- Creating a Forest Garden - Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
- The Transition Companion - Making your community more resilient in uncertain times
- The Hempcrete Book - Designing and building with hemp-lime
- The Fruit Tree Handbook
- The Weeder's Digest - Identifying and enjoying edible weeds