In this new full-colour edition of Organic Gardening, Charles Dowding shares the wealth of his experience, explaining his approach to soil and plants and revealing the range of techniques that have enabled him to grow healthy and vibrant crops for decades. Charles has been practising no-dig organic growing for over 30 years. In this new, full-colour edition of Organic Gardening he shares the wealth of his experience, explaining his approach to soil and plants and revealing the range of techniques that have enabled him to grow healthy and vibrant plants for decades. His success is based on some key principles:
• No-dig enhances soil structure and encourages healthy growth, especially when soil life is encouraged and multiplied through the addition of good compost and manure.
• Organic matter is best spread on the surface – just leave it on top and let the worms take it in, aerating the soil as they do so.
• When starting with weedy soil there is a period of three to twelve months, depending on weed types, when the emphasis is on cleaning and improving the soil.
• Using a no-dig method you can easily control weeds with just a little hand weeding or hoeing every ten days or so, when weeds are small.
Based on this approach and his experience of a system of permanent, slightly raised beds, Charles shows you how to grow a delicious variety of fruit and vegetables: what to choose, when to sow, plant and harvest, and how best to avoid pests and diseases.
B&Bs, guest houses and small hotels offering organic, local and sometimes home-grown produce; self-catering accommodation on organic farms, generally in renovated farm buildings; camp sites on organic farms and smallholdings.
The Organic Baby &?Toddler Cookbook is a comprehensive but easy-to-follow guide to feeding babies from weaning to toddlerhood. It recommends a seasonal, mainly raw or lightly cooked wholefood organic diet, emphasising raw food in spring and summer and lightly cooked foods in autumn and winter.
- The Passivhaus Handbook - A practical guide to constructing and retrofitting buildings for ultra-low-energy performance
- How to Grow Perennial Vegetables - Low-maintenance, low-impact vegetable gardening
- The Transition Companion - Making your community more resilient in uncertain times
- How to Grow Winter Vegetables
- Organic Gardening - The natural no-dig way
- Hot Beds - How to grow early crops using an age-old technique
- Creating a Forest Garden - Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
- The Weeder's Digest - Identifying and enjoying edible weeds
- The Nature of Business - Redesigning for resilience
- Future Money - Breakdown or breakthrough?